Verge Genomics is seeking a Senior Bioinformatics Engineer to ensure the best bioinformatic practices and processes are applied to our computational drug discovery platform. You will apply a variety of next-generation sequencing (NGS) analysis methods to accelerate our drug discovery programs. If you have a mastery of bioinformatics concepts, including genome sequencing and gene expression, plus a passion for software engineering in Python/R, then we would love to hear from you!
We’re inventing something new and different here at Verge Genomics; please apply if you thrive in the face of ambiguity, and love solving tough problems at the scientific vanguard.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed: Currently, it takes on average 12 years and $2.6 billion to get a single drug to market, with the drug discovery and development process costing $1.4 billion. Verge Genomics has raised $51 million in venture capital to change this broken model, by utilizing patient 'omics data and machine learning.
Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up company using human genomics to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases, including ALS, Parkinson’s Disease, and Alzheimer’s Disease. Our platform uses patient tissue profiling, human genetics, and machine learning to identify new therapeutic gene targets, predict effective drugs, and stratify patient subpopulations for increased clinical success. Verge's approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to identify drugs that dramatically improve patient outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost curve of pharmaceutical development.
We are looking for extraordinary individuals to join our motivated team! Our employees are our most important asset; we are a team of founders, excited to learn, roll up our sleeves, and make a real impact.
What you’ll do:
- Become an engineering expert on our bioinformatics platform, which includes RNA sequencing, gene coexpression network discovery, identification of master regulator genes, and analysis of drug screening data
- Improve the usability and accuracy of our platform by engineering new features throughout our stack, including new analysis pipelines, expanded database architectures, web portal visualizations, and better benchmarking tools
- Collaborate with our team to create "code cookbooks" and API documentation
- Ensure the rigor of our software by participating in code reviews and oversight of our GitHub repositories
- Coach team members, as needed, with technical aspects of bioinformatics projects
What we're looking for:
- MS/PhD in computer science, mathematics, bioinformatics, or related field. Preference is given to candidates with 4+ years of professional experience
- Demonstrated experience engineering bioinformatics analysis pipelines in Python, and some familiarity with scripting in R
- Experience working with SQL databases
- Experience managing code repositories (i.e. GitHub), including oversight of feature requests, pull requests, code reviews, and code styles
- Experience building solutions in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Strong desire to work in a start-up environment
- Passion for software craftsmanship, quality, automation, and continuous improvement
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and data presentation skills
While the team is currently working from home (WFH), our hope is that you will be open to joining us in person in our South San Francisco office/lab space in the future.
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and a WFH stipend.
Verge actively seeks a diverse applicant pool in order to build the strongest possible workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
FOR MORE INFORMATION apply at Verge Genomics (link).