Are you passionate about working on projects that make a difference in human lives? Verge Genomics is looking for a Computational Biologist with strong data science skills to develop new algorithms, statistical methods, and software to analyze large-scale gene expression and human genomics data. In collaboration with our world-class team, you’ll work to unlock molecular mechanisms that cause neurodegeneration. As one of the early employees at Verge, you will develop cutting-edge methods and pipelines that will serve as the foundation of our revolutionary drug development model.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed: Currently, it takes on average 12 years and $2.6 billion to get a single drug to market, with the drug discovery and development process costing $1.4 billion. Verge Genomics has raised $51 million in venture capital to change this broken model, by utilizing patient 'omics data and machine learning.
Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up company using human genomics to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases, including ALS, Parkinson’s Disease, and Alzheimer’s Disease. Our platform uses patient tissue profiling, human genetics, and machine learning to identify new therapeutic gene targets, predict effective drugs, and stratify patient subpopulations for increased clinical success. Verge's approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to identify drugs that dramatically improve patient outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost curve of pharmaceutical development.
We are looking for extraordinary individuals to join our motivated team! Our employees are our most important asset; we are a team of founders, excited to learn, roll up our sleeves, and make a real impact.
What you'll do:
- Work with our team of computational biologists to discover new therapeutic gene targets, molecular mechanisms, and drugs that work.
- Tackle problems using a wide range of data, including gene expression, human genetics, epigenomics, and pharmacology databases.
- Contribute to the ongoing growth our discovery platform: work with our diverse team of software engineers, data scientists, and bioinformaticians to improve the accuracy, automation, and usability of our software tools.
What we're looking for:
- PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics, or related field. Exceptional candidates with MS +4 years industry experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated expertise in data science, such as a track record of peer-reviewed publications and/or published software
- Fluency with the molecular biology 'omics stack: genes, mRNA, splicing, proteins, genomes, transcription, and translation
- Experience analyzing data from next-gen sequencing methods, such as (but not limited to) ChiP-Seq, single-cell sequencing, and epigenomic profiling.
- Experience with systems biology discovery methods, such as differential expression, gene network discovery, and pathway enrichment analysis
- Experience with data analysis in Python or R, in a Linux/Unix in a cloud-based environment such as Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with code repositories, such as Github
- Excellent team communication skills and ability to collaborate across our organization
- Desire to work at a fast-paced start-up environment
While the team is currently working from home (WFH), our hope is that this person will be open to joining us in person in our South San Francisco office/lab space in the future.
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days, on-site gym access, and free lunch.
Verge actively seeks a diverse applicant pool in order to build the strongest possible workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
FOR MORE INFORMATION apply at Verge Genomics (link).