Preparing for a CIS or MACS Major at UO
UO Computer and Information Science / Math and Computer Science major lower-division requirements are as follows:
- CIS 210 (CS 161)
- CIS 211 (CS 162)
- CIS 212 (CS 260)
- Math 231 and 232 (Discrete Math)
- Math 251 and 252 (Calculus)
- Three additional math classes are required for the major. Students may take upper division classes at the UO; Math 253 and/or Math 260 (Linear Algebra) can also count toward this computer science major requirement. (Note: Math 253 is required for the MACS major.)
- One of the following science sequences: [PHYS 201, 202, 203] or [CHEM 221, 222, 223] or [BIOL 211, 212, 213]
Programming Languages in the CIS Major
CIS 210 and 211 are taught using Python, and CIS 212 is taught using C. Students who have taken CIS 210, 211, and 212 course equivalents at their current school may want to take a course in Python and/or C.
Discrete Math Requirements
Math 231 and 232 are prerequisites for most 300-level CIS courses, and should be taken with the equivalents of CIS 210, 211, and 212 if possible. CS 250 and CS 251 Discrete Structures may substitute for Math 231 and 232 by petition. If the transfer institution does not offer these courses, then they must be taken during the first two terms at the UO. Students should consult with a CIS advisor to develop an academic plan for their first year in the program.
The equivalents of CIS 210, 211, 212, and Math 231, 232 must be completed with grades of B- or better to register for 300-level CIS courses at the University of Oregon.
CIT Minor and Lane Community College Transfer Students
LCC students who are interested in the Computer Information Technology (CIT) minor at the UO should be aware that the following courses may be able to substitute for UO minor requirements by petition to the Computer Science Undergraduate Education Committee.
- LCC CIS 195 Web Authoring for CIS 110 Fluency with Information Technology
All courses must have been completed with grades of B or better.
A student who has completed the appropriate lower division courses at LCC will be able to complete the CIT minor in one year at the UO:
- CIT 381 Database Systems* (Fall)
- CIT 382 Web Applications Development II (Winter)
- CIT 383 Networking Fundamentals (Spring)
*Students who have taken CS 275 Database Systems and Modeling and CS 276 Database SQL Programming and received grades of B+ or better should talk to a UO Computer Science advisor about possibly substituting another upper division Computer Science class for CIT 381.